Implementation Prints

Goodnight Moon

After I gave up on printing Harold and the Purple Crayon, I continued to investigate the files created by the Tactile Picture Book Project.  I found that they had created all of the files for the book Goodnight Moon.  As I began to print the files, it sparked another conversation between Flo and myself.  We again wondered if the 3D printed version of Goodnight Moon would be the best way to support a student’s concept development when reading.  We decided to create three versions of the book, and explore them with students.  I spent the next few weeks hunting, crafting and printing.

 

Goodnight Moon Book Bag

The items for the book bag were sourced from Ikea and dollar stores.  There were a few items that were difficult to find, so I was easily able to find 3D files online at print them.  I was especially excited about the clock, which was printed in six pieces and glued together with crazy glue.

Video 2018-03-29, 11 26 17 AM-186z3kc

This version of the book was the easiest to put together.  I added braille stickers to the board book.

 

Goodnight Moon Tactile Book

It was a lot of fun to create this tactile book, particularly with the materials I found at Urban Source here in Vancouver.  It was also a very labor intensive project, and involved a lot of designing, cutting, and hot gluing.  I added the text of the book in braille on card stock.

 

Goodnight Moon 3D Printed Book

The 3D printed version of the book was the most interesting to make.  It was very time consuming, as each of the prints took about an hour and a half to make.  A few of them, such as the picture of the room above, were finicky and took a couple of tries to get right.  I needed to be next to the printer as it worked, because sometimes the print would lift and disaster would strike.

The prints for this book were also varying sizes, so some needed to be enlarged 2000% in order to be the same length as the others.  Once I had printed each page (and many of them twice because the objects in the book are mentioned two times), I had 14 pages.  Stacked together, the book was very precarious and I had to carefully consider binding.  Some teammates suggested putting two pages on each piece of card stock and using a large binder to hold them together.  It worked well!

 

We look forward to introducing these books to students and seeing how each of them are received and which one is enjoyed the most.

My thought process in this exploration of Goodnight Moon can be found here: A Consideration of the Implications of 3D Printing on Tactile Graphics to Support Literacy in Students with Visual Impairments-19dbc9m

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by: Wordpress
Skip to toolbar